Search This Blog

Saturday, March 7, 2015

What I read in February

I read a lot in February--many of them were very short though and I've already discussed the Lois Lowry quartet, but here's an "official" summary:

1.  The Shadowy Horses--Susanna Kearsley--might be my favorite Kearsley book yet--it is a prequel to the Firebird that I read last month.  I stood in the library and re-read parts of the Firebird after reading this because I wanted to clarify "what happened" to some of the major characters.

2.  Masters of Disaster by Gary Paulsen--I really shouldn't count this again, but we did listen to it in the car again and quoted all our favorite lines.You really do have to hear it read to get the full affect...

3.  The Giver by Lois Lowry--This is the series that I had to say "My mom was right" They are still not my favorite books of all time, but they were entertaining.  The Giver is my least favorite of the series, but it has to be read to understand the others.

4.  Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry Even though it is hard to see how this one is connected to the others, this might be my favorite of the series.

5.  Messenger by Lois Lowry- Continues the story from The Giver and connects it to Gathering Blue

6.  Son by Lois Lowry-Pulls all the other books together and is a nice conclusion.

7. Miramont's Ghose by Elizabeth Hall--it was free on Amazon and loosely based on the story of Miramont Castle in Manitou Springs.  The first 2/3 of the book was very interesting and seemed like it could be loosely historically based.  Then it took one of the turns that free Amazon books sometimes do and I thought, "ummm, this seems unnecessarily graphic" and then it just kind of wandered to the ending.  I did some research and the original builder was accused of abusing kids, but the storyline in the book was weird.  I wouldn't recommend it (unless you only read the first half)

8.  The Selection by Kiera Cass--recommended by my friend, T, who has never steered me wrong on a book.  This is book one of a series about a post-apocalyptic society (set in the former US, of course) and telling the story of a Prince who designs a Bachelor-like contest to choose a bride.  Written for middle schoolers/high schoolers, has some excitement (the castle is attacked, etc), but is clean and appropriate for "all audiences".  I enjoyed the sequels as well (see below) and am looking forward to one more sequel (set 20 years after the last) when it comes out in May.

9.  The Prince by Kiera Cass-this is one of those "novellas" that seem to be popular in "teen reads" these days.  It is set before the Selection, but is from the Prince's point of view.

10.  All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr--read this while waiting for the Cass books to arrive from my hold at the library.  My book club that I rarely get to read this a few months ago.  It is set in World War 2 and after--tells the parallel story of a young blind girl and a young German soldier. Nicely done, surprising storyline--enjoyed the book.

11.  The Elite by Kiera Cass-Continues the story from The Selection

12. The Guard by Kiera Cass--another novella set from yet another character's point of view.

13.  The One by Kiera Cass--The conclusion to the trilogy, although, as mentioned above, another novel, set twenty years after this one, is supposed to come out in May.

14. Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix--another series recommended by a friend.  Written for upper elementary school students, the books are quick reads.  I read 2 of them in an evening. I'm waiting for book #4 to come in at the library and then I'll probably finish up the story.  Another post-apocalyptic America book, this time families are only allowed two children.  When a family has three kids the third has to live in hiding and so forth and so on.  Fun stories, quick to read.

15.  Among the Impostors by Margaret Peterson Haddix--book 2

16.Among the Betrayed by Margaret Peterson Haddix--book 3

I'm about fifty pages into American Sniper.  I'm having mixed feelings about it so far...I'll report when I'm finished!  After that and the Haddix books, I'm looking for something else to read--I do have some spring break time coming up, so I'll have to find something interesting (or hope that my books on hold at the library come in!)

No comments:

Post a Comment