Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2015

What I read in May 2015

There are a couple of books on this month's list that might make this year's top 10--here we go...

1.  Child of Mine (Beverly and David Lewis)-Picked it up as a "fluff" book and ended up really enjoying it.  Although it was a "typical Beverly Lewis Amish book" in many ways, it also had some unexpected plot twists.  Might not make the top 10, but worth reading.
2.  Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)-recommended by a couple friends, this is book 1 of a 7 (8?) book series--each about 400 pages each.  The book was very entertaining.  I really enjoyed the time traveling and the characters were interesting.  The only thing I didn't love was a couple "love" scenes that I wouldn't want to read with my mom or my daughter :) (Just sayin....). I may pick up book 2 sometime this summer. Added/Revision--Ha!  After I hit submit I remembered the other reason I loved this book--my favorite author of all time, Elizabeth Peters, once wrote a book where she "made fun of" historical romance writers and her main character was a parody of herself.  The main character in the book decides to write "one of those historical romance books" to make money...and that is one of the things I kept thinking about as I read a "real" historical romance....
3.  Day After Night (Anita Diamant)--Interesting read, although it took me a little while to get into it.  This book is set in Israel right after WWII and is based on a true story about a "prison break" out of a refugee detention center.
4.  Surviving Bear Island (Paul Greci)- Another recommendation from a friend.  Written for upper elementary school kids, it reminded me a lot of "Hatchet".  It was a quick read, worth it and if you love "Hatchet" style stories you'll enjoy this one!
5.  Tattoos on the Heart (Gregory Boyle)-This one might make the top 10 list.  It reminded me a bit of "Thrift Store Saints" that I read last year.  It is written by a priest who works with teens in the inner city of LA, especially with kids in gangs and trying to get out.  Father Boyle has taught as well as being a priest and has great advice for teachers--my favorite being something like "learn all your students' names by the second day and it is more important for them to know that you know them than it is for them to know what you know".
6.  The Last Days of Dogtown (Anita Diamont)--Another book I had trouble getting into but then enjoyed.  It is based loosely on a true location, although I'm not sure it is based on true events.  Anita Diamont really does write interesting characters.
7. Looking For Alaska (John Green)-Against my will I did like this book.  It is on the summer reading choice list for my high school and falls in the category of "another sex-drugs-rock and roll book".  It was a little dark, but I think all John Green books are a little dark (or a lot as the case may be). It was a fairly quick book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment