Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

What I read in June

There is a list a mile long of things I'm "supposed" to be doing this summer...including reading a book that our whole faculty is reading...instead I've read a whole stack of summer reads.  It helps that we are still a one car family, so I've been carrying a book in the car to read while waiting in parking lots to pick up people or waiting places to be picked up.  The other day I pulled a hardcover novel out of my giant purse while waiting somewhere with The Girl. I think she snorted before saying, "When did you steal Hermione's bag?"  (In the Harry Potter series, one of the girls has a small, beaded purse that she has magically expanded so it can hold a tent, several changes of clothes, a whole library of books, and so on...).  Needless to say, I've read quite a pile this summer...Again, I'm trusting that you can google or amazon these if you are interested in more or different information than I'm giving:

1.  Aspen (Rebekah Crane)--One of the choices for my students to read this summer.  It is definitely a "teen read", entertaining, with a little plot twist at the end.  Like many of the other books on the summer reading list, death is one of the themes, but this one was not as dark as some of the others.
2.  A Lesson Before Dying (Ernest J. Gaines)--One of my new favorites!  My office mate told me I would love it and did.  It is set in the 1950's in the South and is about a young teacher and his discoveries about himself as he visits with a former student who is condemned to death.  Also on the summer reading list, also a serious book, but it was good...I ended it feeling hopeful, not sad like some of the others on the list.
3.  American Wife (Taya Kyle)-When I told one of my students that I wasn't thrilled with American Sniper, he suggested I read this book.  It was a more satisfying read, pretty much the same back story, but with Taya's twist, and then a description of her life after Chris's murder. Interesting read, worth the time.
4.  The Girl on the Train (Paula Hawkins)-This has been in all the "must read" lists this summer.  It is a mystery, had some good twists...a decent summer read.
5.  Castle of Colorado (Ann Westerberg)--Pretty much a coffee table book about "Castles" in Colorado, but had lots of good history and pretty photos.  We've been to a few and would like to go to more, so it was research.
6.  Ender's Game (Orson Scott Carol)--Also on the summer reading list.  I tried to read it last summer and didn't care enough...I think it must be one of those "you either love it or hate it" books.  I guess I didn't really hate it...I just didn't really enjoy it.  The Boy loved the moved though--so we've decided that the target audience is ten year old boys, so it makes sense that it isn't my favorite book ever.
7.  Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good (Jan Karon)--Another that might make the "top 10 of 2015".  Years ago I read "all the Mitford" books and enjoyed them--I remember when one was coming out each year that  I started to get a little tired of them, and then they were gone.  When my book club decided to read this one, I figured I'd have to read "a bunch" of books that I missed...only to discover there has been a gap of almost 10 years since the last book...which I did read!  It was nice to return to Mitford and find out how all my "friends" were doing--a nice book, probably stands alone if you haven't read the others, but if you are a fan, read it.  (Another comes out this fall...)
8. Jurassic World (David Lewman)--Ok, this was actually a "Junior Novel adaptation" of the movie--took me about an hour to read (took The Boy about two hours) and allowed us to postpone paying to go to the theatre to see the movie.  It was good (for a Junior Novel)...entertaining...someday we'll see the movie.
9.  The River (Beverly Lewis)--I couldn't find anything I wanted to read (not even on the pile by my bed), so I looked on Overdrive and this was available for immediate download.  Very typical Beverly Lewis book, a good summer read (Formerly Amish girl returns home to face her history, runs into old boyfriend, faces choices, choices made, everyone lives happily ever after)
10.  The Heir (Kiera Cass)-The long awaited fourth book in "The Selection" series--picks up 20 years after the 3rd.  It was good...only disappointing thing was that there is going to be "one more"...so now I wait again...
11.  Named of the Dragon (Susanna Kearsley)--Susanna Kearsley never disappoints me--this was not her best book, which is probably why my library had to borrow it from somewhere else, but it was entertaining--a little romance, a little mystery, a little supernatural suggestion--enjoyed it--worth reading.
12. Wild (Cheryl Strayed).  Good  book-drew me in, enjoyed reading it...but I have a problem with the fact that this inexperienced girl hopped on the trail with a giant pack and no clue of what she was doing...ugh.
13.  One For the Money (Janet Evanovich)--While The Girl is at "Strength and Training", The Boy and I have been waiting for her at the school.  One of our activities is walking (me) and running (him) the track.  Since he wears his headphones, I was looking for something to listen to and this was available for immediate download...so I did... and if you look at the next few books on my list, you can see I enjoyed it.  The first book is about Stephanie Plum, a recently laid off lingerie buyer in New Jersey, who become a bounty hunter (working for her cousin, a bail bondsman).  There is a mystery, there is a little romance, lots of funny characters (like Stephanie's 80 year old grandma, who wants to start dating and get her driver's license).  The following books each follow kind of the same format--they are quick and good summer reading...and there are a bunch of them (19? 20?), so until I get tired of them, I will have something to read...
14.  Two for the Dough (Janet Evanovich)
15.  Three to Get Deadly (Janet Evanovich)
16.  Four to Score (Janet Evanovich)
17.  High Five (Janet Evanovich)

Speaking of Hogwarts...the last five read like a Hogwarts required book list...all by the same author..he, he, he...

No comments:

Post a Comment