Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Books I read in July

I haven't counted yet, but I may have averaged a book a day in July.  Due to a combination of reading fluff and reading while waiting for people in the car, I read a lot...I did other things, too, though--I should take a picture of how clean my refrigerator is, it may never be this clean again (at least not until next summer....).  I also was driven (no pun intended?) to finish the Stephanie Plum series...just so I'm ready when the new book comes out in November.  Of course I'm #179 on the list at the library, so maybe I'll just buy it for myself for Christmas. In other news, I'm number 54 for Jan Karon's new book, also due out in October. AND there is a new Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowlings) book in October as well.  Not to mention the Psalm 23 book that was supposed to come out in early July....Maybe I'll use some sick days and read...hmm...

1.  Hot Six (Janet Evanovich)--All of these are from the same series--I've fallen in love with the main characters--they are funny.  Not very smart sometimes, and the plot is sometimes silly, but good summer reading.  I'm looking forward to her next book, coming out in November, so I can read it over Thanksgiving Break.
2.  Four Seasons in Rome (Anthony Doerr)-Recommended by a book club member, about the writer's "study abroad" in Rome the year his twins turned one.  Good story about parenthood and adapting to a different culture.
3.  The History and Haunting of the Stanley Hotel (Rebecca F. Pittman) Fun, fun, fun read...but a little dumb...perfect before my trip to Estes Park.
4.  Seven Up (Janet Evanovich)
5.  Hard Eight (Janet Evanovich)
6.  Visions of Sugar Plums (Janet Evanovich)
7.  Candy Bomber:  The Story of the Berlin Airlift's Chocolate Pilot (Michael O Tunnell) Nice short read about a true story.  I intended to read the longer version and ended up  with the young readers edition, which was fine, it was a nice book.
8.  A Life Intercepted (Charles Martin)  Another awesome book by Charles Martin.  I actually had no idea how it was going to end--I love that about his books.  The premise of the story is that the night he is drafted by the NFL, a young football player is accused of a crime and goes to jail for twelve years.  His wife never visits and basically disappears.  The day he gets out, he goes to his hometown and discovers the next great quarterback.  Loved it...didn't want it to end. Probably will make my top ten this year!
9.  To the Nines (Janet Evanovich)
10.  Ten Big Ones (Janet Evanovich)
11. Eleven on Top (Janet Evanovich)
12.  Twelve Sharp (Janet Evanovich)
13.  Plum Lovin (Janet Evanovich)
14.  Lean Mean Thirteen (Janet Evanovich)
15.  Fearless Fourteen (Janet Evanovich)
16.  Bossy Pants (Tina Fey)-I don't always agree with her politics, but Tina Fey is hilarious.  I listened to her read it herself...so even more hilarious.  Might also make my top 10.
17.  Plum Spooky (Janet Evanovich)
18. Finger Lickin Fifteen (Janet Evanovich)
19.  Sizzlin Sixteen (Janet Evanovich)
20. Smokin' Seventeen (Janet Evanovich)
21.  Explosive Eighteen (Janet Evanovich)
22.  Notorious Nineteen (Janet Evanovich)
23.  Takedown Twenty (Janet Evanovich)
24. Top Secret Twenty-One (Janet Evanovich)
25. In the Unlikely Event (Judy Bloom)-Based on a true story about Judy Bloom's childhood, this is about a three month time period in the 50's when three planes crashed in a small town.  It was unbelievable that it was based on truth and well written in classic Judy Bloom style.
26.  Elizabeth is Missing (Emma Healey)- I can't decide if I liked this book or not.  It is about a woman with dementia.  It is kind of written from her point of view, but that's not always totally clear, so half the time I thought that all the people around her were jerks.  There is also a 50 year old mystery, which isn't clear until almost the end, that it really is a mystery. I didn't want to put it down, but it was disturbing.
27.  A Soft Place to Land (Susan Rebecca White)--About sisters whose parents die in a plane crash.  It is a "Chic Lit" kind of book--no real mystery or conflict...just two sister's lives.  It was good-nice summer read.

So "only" 27...not quite one a day...

No comments:

Post a Comment