Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Motivation, chaos, normal life at the Ranch...

If you are a teacher or a parent (ok, a human being) you know that this can be a nutty time of year. Add to that some computer and camera issues and you have an explanation for why my blogging has been slightly more sporadic lately.

School hasn't been too crazy, but it has been busy...today I participated in two manifestation determination meetings--meetings where we determine if the student's behavior is directly related to their diagnosed disability. Always a hard day and challenging discussion, involving difficult situations, teachers, deans, administrators, parents, kids...well, you get it.  I had to leave one of my team teachers by himself...he was fine, and we are about even from his coaching early dismissals...but I still feel kind of bad.  Today was also "Ugly Christmas Sweater Day"...there is nothing like trying to hold a serious meeting while everyone in the room is wearing a very hideous sweater....Tomorrow our counseling department celebrates "Festivus for the rest of us" (Seinfield reference)--always a fun day to spend some time with folks from all over the building as we run from class to class.  My students are hanging in there, we've had a few breakdowns and therefore breakthroughs. I think we've used more tissues this week than the rest of the year combined though... The Ranch kids only go to school until 10:30 on Friday (I have school all day) and then we are on break....

We finally have the Christmas tree purchased and moved in from the garage.  It has lights and about 3 ornaments-the ones we've been given this year--I suppose we'll get the other ornaments out soon...Many years ago I rolled my eyes at my mom when she said she wasn't going to put ornaments on the tree, just lights...but it is sounding pretty tempting right now.  But, I suppose the children will talk me into ornaments before the weekend is over.  Or, perhaps, now that they are almost as tall as me, perhaps they will just go get the ornaments and decorate the tree without me having to do anything (Hey, I can dream...)

The Boy has started Snowboard team and is loving it.  He has also developed a nasty cough and post-nasal drip...making me wonder daily if we need to steam him.  Tonight I made him take a shower with the Vic's "bubble bath" and he sounded a little better.

\The Girl and I have discussed re-arranging and perhaps even painting her room during break..requiring a deep cleaning and purging first though.  After spending about an hour in there tonight trying to help her sort and purge, I'm exhausted....I'm looking forward to a couple naps though...breaks are good.  I'm also hoping to read a couple books (the pile by the bed is growing again) and hopefully do some lesson planning between the bedroom cleaning.

The pets and kids miss Indy Dog, but are having less melt downs--Mr. IM is convinced that Liberty needs a new friend (and the Rescue Folks do have a puppy that looks just like Baby Indy)...but I don't think we are ready for another dog (and I'm not ready for a puppy) yet.  I suggested a kitten that could ride Liberty like a horse, but so far everyone has vetoed my idea.  I still trip over the spot where Indy slept every morning, in my attempt to step over where she isn't (follow that).  Tigger has stopped waking us up every morning--he now only seems to wake us up on weekends.  we are hypothesizing that he and Indy had some kind of weird arrangement, that Tigger was actually waking Indy up periodically to see if she was ok.  Or not, maybe Tigger really is just a jerk who likes to wake people up and "talk" to them in the middle of the night.

Speaking of Tigger, I've been on his case about writing his annual Christmas letter, but since I haven't created or ordered Christmas cards yet, that seems unnecessary.  Maybe over break Tigger and I will write a letter for the blog.  If you have a hankering to see photos of us in the meantime, head on over to Facebook (unless you're a stranger, in which case, don't, ok?)

Well, this isn't a very exciting blog, but at least you won't worry that I'm lost somewhere....until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment