Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

What I read....September 2017

September is always a weird month.  I feel like I should read more, because the fall is coming and it is cooler, and...well, no...

I did read an Amazon pick--(#1) and a few others...read the commentary for thoughts, I guess...

1.  All the Little Children (Jo Furniss)--An Amazon monthly pick a while back. If she hadn't announced that she has no plans to write a sequel, this would have made my top ten.  It is a nontraditional dystopian novel...instead of being about teenagers, its about two moms and their assorted children.  I wasn't disappointed because everything wasn't tied up in a bow, I'm disappointed because there were so many unexplained story lines that were just kind of left wide open or were ended in a way that wasn't consistent with the story.  The last chapter, the characters don't really act consistently with themselves either.  You'd have to read it I suppose to understand.  The premise of the story was really interesting though...perhaps she will write a sequel or someone else will take her idea and run with it.
2.  The Trapped Girl (Robert Dugoni)--Eventually he's going to stop writing sequels....right now I'm (impatiently) waiting for the one published a couple weeks ago...This one didn't disappoint, again, not top ten, but entertaining and work reading.
3.  Nevertheless (Alec Baldwin)--Parts of this autobiography were really fascinating and parts were not...I like biographies and autobiographies, so it was interesting.
4. Don't You Cry (Mary Kubica)--I think I've read other things by this author.  She was entertaining.  A couple twists.  Good mystery. No urgency to ready anything else by her right now.
5. The Last of the Doughboys (Richard Rubin)--Great book, maybe not top 10, but I do recommend it.  It just took me a loooonng time to finish it.  (It is a loooonng book).  I learned a lot about World War I.  It made me sad that I didn't meet more WWI vets and talk to them before they were all gone.
6.  Night Train to Memphis (Elizabeth Peters)--A classic, especially when read by Barbara Rosenblat.

What's up next?
Well, at the moment, I have these checked out of the library:

When I'm Gone (Emily Bleeker)
The Alice Network (Kate Quinn)
Close to Home (Robert Dugoni)
California (Edan Lepuki)
Commonwealth (Ann Patchett
For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood...and the Rest of Y'all Too (Christopher Emdin)
The Proving (Beverly Lewis)

I've also committed to a semi-informal book study at school, we're reading Teaching Adolescents with Autism (Walter G. Kaweski)  and to reading another Amazon pick from a few months ago, Beneath a Scarlet Sky (Mark Sullivan)  because one of my other co-workers read it and wants to talk to someone about it....so I'd say I have enough to keep me busy for the month.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment