Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

What I read in May, June, and July...Boom...

I'm back...
As soon as I can carve out a few minutes (hours?) I have posts on our Alaska trip--details to follow.  For now, here's an easy post--what I've been reading while MIA...I'll be brief (because let's face it, if you care, you can look up the books at your library or on Amazon)

May:
1.  Masters of Disaster (Gary Paulsen) CD--An oldie but goodie....listened to in car during last weeks of school.  Quoted it all summer..."I'm ok!"
2.  Drums of Autumn (Diana Gabaldon)--Mindless because I've read it before...didn't have to think about it
3.  The Westing Game on CD--by The Boy's request-always a classic...got us through the end of the year

June:
1.  Dead Wake (Erik Larson)-Description says it is about the last voyage of the Lusitania, however, it has much more about how the US actually ended up in WWI.  I was a little disappointed, because I expected it to follow a few characters and their adventures, and it did, but it also had a lot about what was happening in the US and the world (which was interesting, just not what I thought it would be)
2. Wicked Appetite (Janet Evanovich) Audio--Author of the Stephanie Plum novels, good, pretty short. Listened to during the 2 weeks I actually got up early and walked.
3.  Wicked Business (Janet Evanovich) Audio
4.  Pete and the Starcatchers (Dave Barry) Audio-Listened to with The Boy while driving The Girl around the county
5.  Bless Me Ultima (Rudolfo Amaya)-The Girl's summer reading assignment for Honors English.  It was good, about a young boy and his family in the SW US right after WW II.
6. Sherlock Holmes:  Knife's Edge (Andrew Lane)-Picked it up at library in teen tower while waiting for The Boy to pick a book.  It was good, didn't realize it was book 3 or 4 of series until the middle.  Picked up book 1 later (see below) and wasn't as impressed.  This one was very traditional Sherlock Holmes.
7. If You Find Me (Emily Murdoch)-Another one picked up while waiting for The Boy.  About a teenage girl who lives in the wilderness with her mom and sister and one day while the mom has been gone for a month a social worker shows up.  Interesting perspective on what it would be like to "join the 21st century" after living years without modern conveniences.
8.  Pete and the Shadow Thieves (Dave Barry) Audio-Read by Jim Dale, continues the story of how Peter Pan became Peter Pan.  Good in the car.

July:
1.  The Oregon Trail (Rinker Buck)--About a modern day (2011?) journey following the Oregon Trail.  Good book.
2.  Sherlock Holmes:  Death Cloud (Andrew Lane)--book one of the series, not as good as I thought it would be, but a nice short mystery read
3.  Life As We Knew It (Susan Beth Pfeffer)--Picked up in teen tower.  Series of 4 books, I think I might have read them kind of out of order.  Thought it was going to be a teen/chick lit book, but on about page 20 the moon is hit by an asteroid and it becomes dystopian--All four books are pretty short and engaging.  Enjoyed the series (although it was a little horrifying at times).
4.  14 (Peter Clines)--Recommended by my friend, W.  Loved it!  Starts out as a typical mystery and becomes a sci-fi mystery.
5.  Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Dave Barry) Audio--Continues the story...one more book to go, I think!
6. The Dead and the Gone (Susan Beth Pfeffer)--Book 2, of series (see #3)
7. This World We Live In (Susan Beth Pfeffer)--Book 3, of series (see #3)--I read this one before book 2, because I had it checked out on my kindle and we were without internet on the ship.  There were a couple confusing parts, since I missed book 2...but after reading book 2, I think they were supposed to be confusing...
8.  Laughter of Dead Kings (Elizabeth Peters) Audio--Have it on my car HD drive...listened while driving from place to place without kids...

Possible for Top 10 of 2016:
The Oregon Trail
14



No comments:

Post a Comment