Search This Blog

Saturday, December 9, 2017

November 2017...What did I read?

November was a slower reading month--partially because I didn't listen to anything in the car--Mr. IM's car had a long vacation at the auto shop, so we all car-pooled, meaning I don't get to listen to books (which is fine...but means I read fewer books!)

1.  The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer--an interesting premise.  Part mystery, part James Bond...a great story, might be top ten.
2.  Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan--Set in Italy during WWII.  This book is based on true stories.  It kind of started slow but came to me highly recommended, so I powered through until I started getting into it.  Very interesting perspective on the war.
3.  Breaking Wild by Diane Les Bequests-Story starts with a woman lost in the Colorado Wilderness and focuses on her and the Forest Servicewoman who tries to find her.  It was interesting, but there was a lot of "extra" stuff to the story that distracted...just being lost in the woods and/or trying to find her is a big enough story, we don't necessarily need extra detailed backstory on both people's childhood.
4.  What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty--very good--Someone recommended it to me a couple years ago and I didn't read it, finally got around to it and wasn't disappointed.  The main character is a 39-year-old woman who loses all memory of the past ten years. Some mystery as she struggles to figure out her current life, interesting characters, and storyline.
5.  I am Watching You by Teresa Driscoll.  A mystery set in England centers on a woman who sees what she thinks is the prelude to a crime.  Some interesting ideas about what we think should be reported and what we ignore.  Good story.
6.  Promise Me, Dad by Joe Biden.  Didn't live up to the hype.  I thought it was a book about Joe Biden's relationship with his son Beau and how he and the family traveled through Beau's illness and death.  That part of the story was there, but it really was buried under Joe's stories about all the things he was doing as Vice President while Beau was ill.  It was interesting, but not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment