Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Mackinac Island part 2

I think all little girls love horses and I wasn't any different.  When I was really little, my grandfather drove the shuttle/taxi from the boat docks to the Grand Hotel (and I suppose from the Grand to restaurants, etc.?) so horses always make me think of him. My grandfather was great with the horses-my mom reminded me that he and grandma used to stay until the very end of the season so that he could help transport the horses to the mainland for the winter (it was too hard to get horse food in large quantities to the island in the winter).  When I was older I loved to take the Carriage Tour and listen to my Grandpa tell all the cheesy tour guide stories--he was very entertaining.  When he worked for the carriage tours, my Grandpa would usually eat breakfast with the rest of the drivers and was photographed and pictured by National Geographic in an article about Mackinac Island.  Since cars (other than emergency vehicles) are not allowed on the island, there are lots of opportunities for horses and drivers.  I've always loved this picture--my grandpa looks so young (ok, so do I) and so spiffy in his Grand uniform.

 Here are my brother and I, must have been about 1977, sitting in the "honored guest" seats behind Grandpa














This isn't as great of a picture, maybe even the same year, but I think that is my Uncle Terry talking to Grandpa and my mom (with my brother)
 In 2009, I, even though I knew it wouldn't be the same, really wanted to take a carriage tour.  Partially it was an "easy" way to see the Island with an almost 8 year old and a 4 1/2 year old.  In fact, The Boy fell asleep on the tour (notice the glazed eyes?) and we had a relaxing ride around the island while I listened to a new generation of tour guides tell their stories.  We opted for a bike ride this 2014 trip, instead of a carriage ride/nap.  (Although, my nephew did have a short nap in the bike trailer)



I've always liked this picture of my mom and my grandpa.  I think it was probably the last summer he worked on the island.













Riding Bikes:  When I was a kid, we rode bikes everywhere.  My folks only had one car for many years, so mom would even run to the grocery store with the bike and the trailer.  When we went to Mackinac was almost always took our bikes to ride around the island. This year I realized I haven't even been on a bike in about 5 years (other than in the driveway, long story) so I was a little concerned about the 8 mile trip around the Island...with The Boy on the back of a tandem. I don't remember ever renting bikes, until this year, but I think that one of my cousin's worked at a bike rental place--perhaps this one, with my brother checking out the choices.

This was a pretty typical set up for the bike when my brother and I were little--me in the trailer, him in the backpack.  Later, my folks bought a tandem (and then another) so one or both of us kids would ride on the back and be instructed to NOT petal and mess up mom or dad's bike driving. Later, my brother and I enjoyed riding the tandem together, especially the one with mountain bike-ish tires so we could go "off-road".

 The Boy, showing off the tandem--he was a great peddler actually and did great on the back.  He told me he wishes we could get a tandem.  Oh, boy.
The Girl tried hard to convince her Aunt to share a tandem, but I convinced the two of them that having individual bikes also has benefits. This is during our half way stop at British Landing (more on that below)


British Landing:  This allegedly the site where the British snuck on to Mackinac Island in 1812 and took the Fort without a shot being fired. For us, it is about half way around the Island and a good spot to stop for a snack and a rest.  I mentioned to my parents that, "wow, they've put in a snack shop" and they both snickered and said something like, "There has always been a snack shop...we just never stopped or let you know it existed".  Hmm.

I think this is British Landing...Me, with cute braids.  I don't think the benches are still there, at least not in the same place.

 No, we didn't take our cat to the Island...but eerie, isn't it?  At least twice this kitty (or its child or sibling...) was at British Landing when we visited...I called it Mackinac Island Dusty.

 Ah, here is bike set up two--tandem with trailer--the extra child is my cousin, T, looking at my brother's shoe with him.
Riding the Boat:  When we were discussing if we would go to the Island this year, my mom asked The Boy why he wanted to go.  His answer?  "I want to ride the boat, see horses, and eat fudge." Ok.  Riding the boat is fun!
According to my mom, we always ride the Arnold line.  The trip is a little slower than some of the newer boats, but a nice ride, if it's not raining.  This is probably 1980ish, me in the red jacket, my brother, and my mom.
 The Girl in 2009, enjoying her freedom to watch out the front while The Boy slept on my lap.
 I'm not actually sure this is on the way to Mackinac....the boat doesn't look right...Mom?
 This is the view from the boat that I missed the last two trips--having someone waiting for us when we arrived.  The two folks at "the rail" are my grandparents, waiting for us to arrive.
 Here is everyone this year--well, no, The Boy isn't in there.  He must be sitting by me.  I didn't get pictures of the best part of the trip, though--there was a field trip of 11-14 year old boys from a boys only summer camp on the boat with us.  They were quite enthralled with The Girl and liked talking to The Boy and I as a way of getting her attention.  One of them had purchased, with his souvenir money, a twelve pack of Dr. Pepper.

 Now, this is either funny or scary, depending on how you look at it.  I didn't notice this until we were getting ready to board to go back to Mackinaw City.  Notice anything about the child tickets and the adult tickets?  Luckily, they let the kids come back with me and didn't make them go to St. Ignace and walk across the bridge.  Maybe they were out of kids tickets to Mackinaw City?










Hart's Haven:  This was one of the places I wanted to see in 2009, to see what it was like.  Imagine my surprise when the little motel we stayed at was a swanky bed and breakfast.  I think my grandparents were friends with the proprietor when I was a kid.  The owner at that time had throat cancer (or some other disease?) and used a larynx box to talk.  I was both fascinated and a little freaked out as a kid.  When we were kids this probably was the best place for us to stay--not just price, but convenience--really just a block off the busy street, but with a nice big grassy yard to play in and picnic tables, and really close to the places that Grandma and Grandpa lived (as I remember)
 This is probably 1978 or so--looks pretty much the same actually, except in 2009 and 2014 it wasn't raining.  My husband said, "I don't know why your family continued to vacation in a place that required so much rain gear."
 My brother and I playing with my "Indian dolls"--I'm surprised I let him touch them.
 And my parents admiring the much more flowery Hart's this year. I don't know if it looks prettier because it really is a lot swankier (well, it is) or just because the sun is actually shining.  Sunshine makes almost everything pretty.
Big Rock in the Park:  There is a huge park right down by the harbor, named for Father Pierre Marquette, who was the first (one of the first?) missionaries to the area.  There is a big statue of Father Marquette and lots of grass to run in (and a few shady trees for the sunny days) and marvelous view of the lake...and this rock....
 Ok, the picture on the left is taken from near the rock, but the rock is in the one on the right with The Boy in 2009.  I bet we are eating pickle loaf sandwiches on the left--we "always" bought pickle loaf for lunch--yummy! I feel like there are more pictures of the rock somewhere, but I can't find them.  My kids like to pose with anything that isn't moving though, so maybe I am just envisioning the many photos of them in front of it.
Misc.:  All right, I'm almost done with this post--here are a few last photos that seem worthy of commentary but didn't fit in my self-created categories:
 The Girl, 2009, with Aunt M.  I believe that Aunt M's suggested caption to the photo was "The Girl seems very unhappy that there is a Starbucks on the Island".  I suggested we use this for her 8th grade photo, but was vetoed.
 The Grand Hotel...to prove I really went to the Island...and because it is pretty.

 I think I remember going here with my Grandpa to see the horse and when I was a kid I had a postcard of a horse being shod in this barn (I think...it had green in the picture...)
 This has always been one of my favorite pictures--I mean, gee, my brother is so adorable in this picture--like a little doll in his giant rain coat. Huh, the people in the background are not wearing raincoats...were we overly cautious or were they really wet?
 I'd guess around 1985.  Notice the styling Carroll Cougar and IVTECH clothing.  I did love those shorts--I ripped them the first time I wore them, so my mom sewed a large Mickey Mouse patch on the bottom--made them even cuter! I think The Girl's new school shoes are almost identical to the ones I'm wearing.  Interesting.  And no, I have no idea where this sign is or what we are doing, other than posing.  Now I know where my kids get it.
 More posing...

 And more...Ah, see, my brother has taken off his hat for this photo.  The Boy reminds me of him in this photo..
 I think we are posing with places that "Somewhere in Time" was filmed...very entertaining film...or not.  Check it out if you never have, the scenery is lovely...the acting, maybe not so much, but it has become a cult classic.

 I'll have to have my mom hunt this photo down and re-scan it-- a few didn't scan so well the first round.  It could almost be a postcard if scanned better--my grandfather, a couple cousins, my grandmother, my brother and I in front of the Chippewa Hotel, where my Uncle's family usually stayed.  I think I'm wearing a giant raincoat.




Well, now I think that is it for now! Thanks for traveling down memory lane with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment