Search This Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2016

What I read, October 2016

Here we go....

1.  At the Water's Edge (Sara Gruen)--Like Water for Elephants, this book has a young female main character who is in a bad situation.  It is historical fiction.  The description on Amazon really doesn't tell much of what the book is about-I wasn't sure I wanted to read it after that description, but enjoyed the book.
2.  Finding Bliss (Dina Silver)--Recommended by a friend and ironically had a lot in common with At the Water's Edge.  I didn't love it, but it was a quick read.  I might have liked it more if I hadn't just read such a similar book!
3.  Orange is the New Black (Piper Kerman)--My mom kept recommending it and I was baffled...I mean, haven't all my friends told me what happens on the tv show?  Turns out the book and the tv show have little in common...same basic premise, but real life wasn't as exciting in most ways as the show is.  Book is about redemption and "finding yourself".  Good read.
4.  Blood on the Tracks (Barbara Nickless)--Intriguing book--about a female vet and her search and rescue dog who work in law enforcement in the US.  A sequel is due out next year.  I liked this book, I'm kind of curious about what "happens next" but not super curious.  Good book...waiting to see what happens next.
5.  Secrets of a Charmed Life (Susan Meissner)--I really like how Meissner weaves together historic (fictional) stories with modern (fictional) stories.  This time it revolves around two sisters, separated during World War II and a young woman interviewing a WWII survivor.
6.  The Winter Garden (Kristin Hannah)--Another story with a connection to WWII and a family secret.


Contestants for top 10 of 2016:
Orange is the New Black
Secrets of a Charmed Life
The Winter Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment