Search This Blog

Sunday, September 17, 2017

August 2017 books!

Hello...
This blogging thing may not be as used as it once was...


Books from August 2017:
 1. The Painted Queen (Elizabeth Peters)--Long-awaited and much anticipated.  Apparently, Barbara Mertz (Elizabeth Peters) was working on this book when she passed away.  There was possibly a lot of drama behind the scenes, as the family and the estate tried to figure out if and how to publish it.  Eventually, a friend of hers who is also a writer stepped up and finished the book.  There are some "errors" in the story--things that I don't think Peters would have let slip through, but nothing too terrible.  The book also set in the middle of the series, so we all know "what happens next" anyway.  It was a nice book, a good way to say goodbye (one more time) to Peters and her characters.
2.  Matchup (Edited by Lee Childs)--This is a collection of short stories (some fairly long) written by mystery writers in a partnership.  It probably would have been a lot more entertaining if I knew more of the authors.  Diana Gabaldon was a contributor and many of the other stories were entertaining. (Glad it came from the library though, not purchased).
3. in Scarlett (Elizabeth Peters)--CD in the car--always entertaining to listen to Barbara Rosenblat perform Elizabeth Peters.
4.  Loved (PC and Kristin Cast)--The Casts say that they never intended to write another sequel, but for some reason (that they never really explain, but hint at) they did.  It looks like there are going to be more books in this post sequel series. If you read the earlier novels, worth reading, if you didn't, don't start with this one.
5  And the Rest Is History (Jodie Taylor)-Entertaining as always...
6.  One for Sorrow (Mary Downing Hahn)--Not what I thought it was.  Someone (or maybe I read somewhere) recommended it as a ghost story, turns out it is by an author I've read before and really was an upper elementary school age book.  Quick read.
7.  Option B (Sheryl Sanberg and Adam Grant)--Interesting book.  She references "Lean In" a lot and how clueless she was.  It was an interesting book about how to deal with unexpected things in life.
8.  In the Clearing (Robert Dugoni)--Can I say I enjoyed a murder mystery?  I did....Robert Dugoni is very entertaining.
9.  Long Way Gone (Charles Martin)--I thought I had read everything by Charles Martin, then I saw this and didn't think I had...then I started reading and it is a very familiar story....but just published.  So maybe I read an excerpt or summary?  I always love Charles Martin's stories--a good read.  Follows a former country songwriter with flashbacks and current story.
10.  Trojan Gold (Elizabeth Peters)--CD in car--see # 3 :)




No comments:

Post a Comment