Search This Blog

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Family History Post of the Day

Today would have been my Grandfather's 102nd birthday.  I'm amazed when I realize he died over 20 years ago--seems like just yesterday he was feeding the dog under the table.

For many years my Grandparents worked on Mackinac Island and I always think it is sweet that almost every year a friend or relative visits Mackinac around this time of year and shares pictures that make me smile.
 (Obviously) these photos are from decades before I was imagined, but they are two of my favorites.

Grandpa lived with us for semi-extended time periods twice in my life, well, really three, if you count 1978, when he and Grandma were snowed in with us for weeks.  After my Grandmother passed away, he lived with us for a few months.  My grandmother had purchased and wrapped Christmas gifts already, but wanting to make sure that I received the "one gift I wanted" (a Barbie) he bought one as well--I loved those twin Barbies!

Later, after I graduated from college, I moved home to teach at the local high school.  My move home coincided with Grandpa moving in and my brother's friend, R, moving in as well (his parent had moved out of district and it was their senior year).  One of my favorite memories from that year was when R came home to find Grandpa vacuuming and hissed to my brother, "They're making him do housework?!!!"

I remember Grandpa laughing a lot.  He could play a mean jazz piano and taught my brother and I to fish in a lily encrusted lake.  He also pretended to be horrified that we had an inside dog, but more than once was found "resting his meat on his knee" to cool off and was "surprised" when it "disappeared".

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment