Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I would starve as a real homesteader



I feel like I've said this before and it's undoubtedly true.  This has been a rough year for the garden so far--I didn't do a good job of planting and then the beetles came.  The photo here isn't mine, it came from an exterminator's website, but the leaves look just like all of mine.  Yuck.  I haven't seen too many beetles, but their damage is evident.  I've invested in insecticidal soap, and had some limited success, but it also appears that there are slugs/grubs/something blechy eating the plant roots as well. Ugh.  Oh ,well, it's just a hobby, right?

Recently the topic of chickens has come up again. On the plus side, if they survived the dog and the coyotes, (and the bears, and the cougars, and the cold), they might eat the beetles (score!)....but on the negative side, well, they're chickens.  I think I'd rather get another dog and buy eggs at the store like always.  I kind of like the idea of chickens, but I really don't like actual chickens much...they are prickly and require attention and care.

We harvested the sunflower heads tonight--because of the ongoing bug and mouse and bird infestations, the sunflower heads are in paper bags on the patio covered in cheesecloth for a few days--hopefully by the time you read this they will be ready to detach the seeds!

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll see if there are any carrots and potatoes...I'm waiting for it to get cold!

1 comment:

  1. You should totally get chickens if it's at all a possibility. We had them for about a year just before we moved here from Idaho. They were my daughter's project so it was her responsibility to take care of them. I was very surprised at how little trouble they were. And they were so fun to watch. And eggs. My daughter and I wish we could have them here but we live in a rental, so it's not happening for now. But we would definitely do it again if we could.

    ReplyDelete