Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

What I read in August 2016

I might be back on track...or not...

1.  The Shadow of the Moon (Susan Beth Pfeffer)--The 4th book in the series about the moon being knocked out of orbit.  This one follows another "secondary" character.  The main characters from books 1 and 2 (who were the main characters together in 3) are in the story, but are on the edges.  We find out what happens, but the story loses some of its momentum because the reader almost has to start over.  I've heard a rumor there will be a 5th book, I'll read it if there is, but this one won't make my top 10...
2. The Fifth Wave (Rick Yancy)--There are 3 books in this series and I read all three this month.  I really enjoyed the first, the 2nd was ok...I hoped the third would be awesome...it was ok.  A good post-apocalyptic read...but not top 10 material..
3.  The Infinite Sea (Rick Yancy)
4.  Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (JK Rowling and all)--Meh.  Glad I read it, but didn't hold up to the "real" HP books.  The characters don't behave as I expected they would.  Harry constantly doubts his parenting skills (and perhaps he should).  Oh, and there is time travel.  Meh.
5.  The Last Star (Rick Yancy)
6.  The Fold (Peter Clines)--Same author as "14"--good book, ending was almost the same..which I can't tell you about without spoiling both books.  Interesting read, definitely science fiction. If you love science fiction, you'll probably love it...
7. The Love Letters (Beverly Lewis)--Typical Beverly Lewis.  Entertaining, quick read...Amish girl has problem, problems get worked out, she gets married...its all good.
8.  The Last American Vampire (Seth Grahame Smith)--A sequel to Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer..enough said...if you enjoyed the first book, this is a good sequel.  If you thought it was dumb, don't bother.  What I like about both books is the author's (successful) efforts to imagine what someone from another point in history would think of American events.  The vampires and vampire hunters are a bit over the top at times, but the writing is good--entertaining and funny at times, horrifying at others.
9. The Forgotten Room (Whie, Wiliams, and Willig)--I kept expecting it to be science fiction (maybe because of all the sci fi I read earlier?) and it wasn't--it was a classic "three generations" story---stories of the mom, grandma, and "current" young woman tied together by their (not sci fi) connection to a house.  Good read.

So maybe no top ten this month.  Hmm.  I need to find another good series...


No comments:

Post a Comment