Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Teaching

A while ago, someone shared this article with me: 11 Reasons Teaching Is the Best (Even When It Isn’t)  It was written from the point of view of an Elementary School Teacher, I think it is true (with some revisions) for high school teachers as well.

Here are my thoughts my the high school world...

The headings are Ms. Wiley's based on her elementary school experience, and the narrative is my "twist" on high school....And I discovered that even though her title says 11...there are only ten...

1. Small chores being done for you--Just like Ms. Wiley, I've discovered that there is always a student willing to run to the water fountain and fill my water bottle (although I feel like I have to be choosy about who I send, lest my water have, um, additives...). I also love that my restless high school students LOVE to run to my office to get things I've forgotten or make a quick copy.  I've purposely left my coffee on my desk when I know I have a restless student who will need a walk...shhh...

2.  The compliments....although these are usually strange, always unsolicted, and occasionally just weird..."Miss!  Miss!  Did you get new shoes?"  "Um...no?"  "Oh,well, those are really blue!"  "Um..ok, thanks?"  There's also the "Class was really fun today!!!"  My favorite was, "Hey, Miss!  You're not wearing black today.  Cool!"  (Um, ok?) I also like the guess your age game...a random student will shout out--"Hey, Miss!  How old are you?  Are you older than my mom?"  and another will answer either, "She's 32, duh..." (or....)

3.  But yet, they keep you humble.... "Nah, man, she's at least 60" (D'oh?).....And the "This is boring...."  (yes, PSAT Prep is boring...let me know when you figure out a fun way to really do it, folks...sigh)

4.  The weirdness....It's high school...do I need to even address this?

5.  The camaraderie with other teachers...There are so many inside jokes and "you had to be there moments" where we laugh at ourselves...I love my co-workers (well, most of them... :)  )

6.  Shake your head and laugh moments--this goes with 4 and 5, of course...sometimes I just shake my head and laugh...The "What just happened?" moments, when no one is hurt or embarrassed, but I wonder, "um, what was that?" (see #7).  Last week I was working with a student and another was trying get my attention.  After about five "Misses!" , he shouted "MOTHER!"...which caused all of us to laugh hysterically....and did get my attention..

7. Birthday treats...So this is rare in the high school, although, they do bring their own snacks, so sometimes there are unsolicited candy bars (or Chick fil A french fries!). A couple weeks ago though a parent did show up at school with treats and balloons for her (embarrassed?) 17 year olds birthday...they were yummy...And there are occasional boxes of donuts and other pastries because a co-worker stopped on the way in.  One of my co-workers has started bringing treats for all her IEP meetings...I'm thinking of hiring her to bring some for mine, too :)

8. Pajama Days--or Spirit days as the case may be--Last week was "Wish Week"--Monday Pajama Day (I can't quite bring myself to wear pjs' to school, but I did wear jeans and a comfy sweatshirt), Tuesday: Tourist Day (jeans and a t-shirt), Wednesday: Yellow Day (jeans and a yellow t--are you sensing a theme here?) Thursday:  Animal Day--Skirt, blouse and animal print scarf (jeans needed to be washed)  Friday: School Colors Day--jeans and t-shirt...duh.

9.  Summer vacation and snow days--well, duh...but this does backfire sometimes..."Ack! Now my B day lesson plan is ahead of my A day plan--ugh!  Now, how am I going to fix this?"  I have an on-going "argument" with some friends and family members as well, about summer vacation...if you want me to not speak to you for a few days, just say "Well, you have three months off to just lie around all summer so I don't know why you need snow days"....Ummm...most summers it is about 6 weeks and during that time I am taking at least one class and working on curriculum for the next year...as well as doing all the stuff (like scrubbing my bathtub) that doesn't get done during the school year..honestly..does anyone scrub their tub?

10.  Its always a (fun) adventure--every day is different, every day is something new.  A few months ago I posted a selfie on Facebook and one of my high school classmates said, "You look like you're still in high school"....I was able to answer.."Well, I am.... :)  "

While there are days I'd love a day off (without writing lesson plans for someone else to follow), I do love my job  career.  Thanks, Ms. Wiley, for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment