Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

What I read in January 2017

With no further ado, the much overdue first book blog of 2017...

1.  The Hammer of Thor (Rick Riordan)--I guess I was behind on my Rick Riordan reading, because I came across this one (from the Magnus Chase series) and the next one (from the Apollo series) at the same time.  Both a a quick read, very engaging, carry on the stories of Riordan's characters.  I enjoyed them.
2. The Hidden Oracle (Rick Riordan) See #1
3. Among Wolves (RA Hakok)--picked this up for free on my Kindle app and it was a good read.  A post-apocalyptic story about some kids who survive "the end of the world" because they were on a White House tour.  Has a mystery, some drama--I guess there are going to be several books in the series, this one and the sequel are published (see #10).
4.  Lilac Girls (Martha Hall Kelly)--I really like how the author took several different stories and brought them all together at the end.  It is semi-historical, set during World War II, and follows women from America and from Europe.
5.  The Princess Diarist (Carrie Fisher)--A good read, I put it on my hold list at the library shortly after Ms. Fisher died and it came to me quickly.  About half the book was actually her diary from the time though, not really edited for publication, so it was like reading a 20 year old woman's diary (which is what it is titled, so no surprise I guess).  I liked her non-diary writing portions..it was worth the read, but not top 10 worthy.
6.  The Escape (Hannah Jayne)--I really like Ms. Jaynes' books-they all have a great twist that is unexpected.  This one was not disappointing.
7.  Salt to the Sea (Ruta Sepetys)--really loved this book. About refugees at the very end of World War II.  It follows a group of acquaintances as they try to find safety and end up on a ship that sinks.  There is an "afterward" as well and a good historical base for the story.  It was not quite top 10, but was a very good read about an overlooked WWII event.
8.  Sword of Ptolomy (Rick Riordan)--Read it quick on my phone, I think it is only available digitally.  Typical Riordan, a good quick read.
9. The Book of Three (Lloyd Alexander) on CD--I have never read this series, even though I knew it existed.  The Boy found it on CD so we gave it a try.  It reminds me a lot of the Hobbit and of Narnia, and a little of Arthur.  A good book to listen to in the car, the narrator didn't make me sleepy.
10.  The Devil You Know (RA Hakok)-Book two of the series (see #3)
11.  The Missing (Caroline Eriksson)--Left me wondering through the whole book if the main character was losing her mind or if there was something else going on.  A good mystery.
12.  Walk into Silence (Susan McBride)--book one in a series about a female detective.  I want to read more, but I'm not excited about it, so it is on "the list" to read later.  Very entertaining.

Last January I read 13 book, but the year before only 8..so I'm off to a decent, if not fast, start.
I also read about half of a book that I gave up on, I think it was called "Everyone brave will be forgiven".  It was about education in England during World War II, presented through a love triangle....I may pick it up again some day, but not right not.


No comments:

Post a Comment