Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Waiting for Spring...

We had a couple of lovely days during the past couple of weeks...making me dream of my garden.  Unfortunately, there is a 50% chance of  frost through May 22 this year.  Hmm.  That means that I can plant some things inside between March 29 and April 12 (6-8 weeks before then) and move them outside in May.  Still almost a month away.  Gee...What shall I do until then?  We've tried planting around Mother's Day, but usually end up covering plants with sand buckets and kitty litter pails when that "last snow/frost" happens. To make myself happy, I created a garden planting map and created a list of what we hope to plant--Here's the first draft:
Planted in previous years, hopefully will come back produce again this year:  cilantro, rosemary, chives, scallions, garlic, asparagus.
The fruit trees (peach, apple, cherry) will be on year two and supposedly we won't have fruit until year four. There is also a blueberry bush and a blackberry bush, but neither looked good last year, so we'll see if they even sprout.
New plants--in pots--some of the tomatoes, potatoes, some of the peppers , and flowers of course.
  In the garden-peas, green beans, onions, lettuce and spinach (those can go in earlier), carrots (also can go in earlier), corn, cucumbers, jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, green peppers, tomatoes, maybe zucchini, maybe butternut squash.  Looks like it will be another ambitious year.  We're hoping to have better luck with the corn-- last year's was chewy.  We'll going to pay better attention to the growing schedule and hope that things go better.  I'm also going to add parsley, oregano, and basil to the outside herb garden...which means I'll have some rock removal and soil enrichment...that should keep me busy, once it starts warming up a little and we are just waiting for last minute snowstorms and frosts.  Until then I'll keep myself happy by buying plant pellets and seed packets...spring is coming eventually, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment