Search This Blog

Monday, October 21, 2013

September reading, otherwise known as House of Night fiesta...

Pretty much everything I read in September was from the House of Night Series--I did read books 1-3 (Marked, Betrayed, Chosen) in August...then spent September reading (in order)  Untamed, Hunted, Tempted, Burned, Awakened, Destined, Hidden, Lenobia's Vow (a novella), Dragon's Oath (novella), Neferet's Curse (novella) and an epilogue and preview on the website...there are still two books left in the series, one comes out this week and one next year, so I guess I'll be cured after that.

The kids and I did listen to book one of the Maze of Bones series and it was surprisingly good.  The reader is decent and the story is engaging--about two kids who follow a series of clues (39 perhaps?) to solve a family mystery.  Each book is written by a different children's author, but the series is pretty coherent--a reasonable answer to "oh, I don't want to listen to the Harry Potter series again yet".

My sophomore class (and I) read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. Probably the 2nd or 3rd time I've read it with a class and it was still good.  It tells the story of a young Native American boy who decides to attend high school at an off-reservation (all white) high school.  Kind of a coming of age story.

Then we have another Debbie Viguie book--for someone who swore she wasn't going to write any more, she is churning these out.For His Name's Sake came out on September 28 and I stayed up way too late to find out that, well, I won't tell you...read it for yourself...Maybe in book 8...

Finally, I rounded out the month by reading what is probably considered a "coffee table" book, but was pretty interesting--James Cameron's Titanic.  It had a little history, a little filmography, lots of pictures, and some trivia about the actual wreck.

I'll write about my October reading habits later...perhaps in January at the rate I'm going?

No comments:

Post a Comment