Search This Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day

I really want to write a post about Veteran's Day but I'm not quite sure where I'm going to go with it...so I guess we'll see..

I did a quick google search for inspiration and came across this post Freedom is not Free by Robert Longley on Ask.com.  He begins the article with a quote attributed to George W. Bush:

"We must remember that many who served in our military never lived to be called veterans. We must remember many had their lives changed forever by experiences or the injuries of combat. All veterans are examples of service and citizenship for every American to remember and to follow." 

I like the idea that Veteran's Day can be to not only to honor our living Veterans, but also a day to remember those who didn't have the opportunity to be called a veteran.

This is my Uncle John, my Mother's younger brother.  I never had the chance to meet him, but he was "the favorite uncle" of my cousins' childhood stories.  The adults didn't talk about him much, but a copy of this photo hung in my grandparents' living room and now hangs at my aunt's house.


In 1994, my mom called me to say that a building at Fort Gordon was being dedicated and named after my Uncle.  This was the first time I heard stories about his "Army life". The information at the building dedication included this excerpt:

 John Darling received his commission as a 2nd Lt. in the U.S Army Signal Corps upon graduation from West Point, USMA in 1968. He was assigned to service in Vietnam in 1969 and was present during a combat assault on an abandoned Fire Support Base Ripcord. The firebase came under intense hostile mortar fire and his Battalion's Tactical Operations Center received a direct hit, wounding the Executive Officer and several other men. Lt. Darling immediately assumed command then administered first aid to the casualties. Braving the impacting rounds, he carried a wounded man to the medical evac helocopter, then returned to the command post to direct armed helicopter support of the Extraction Operation. For his gallatry, he was awarded the Silver Star. Less than two months later, on 18 May 1970, 1st Lt. Darling was killed in action. He died a hero's death when, on the eve of his rest and relaxation leave, his helicopter was shot down as he voluntarily returned to a Fire Support Base that was under attack. 1st Lt. Darlings numerous awards include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Army commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Parachutist Badge, and the Ranger Tab.

The family legend continues that the officer in charge of naming the building at Fort Gordon was one of the men rescued in the first incident mentioned.  The officer essentially ended his own military career by choosing my Uncle instead of a more well known hero to name the building after.  It was only when I read the story of his "Army history", that I really understood what kind of person Uncle John was.  He was more than my cousin's favorite uncle, he was an example of everything an American soldier is supposed to be. An ordinary man who chose to go beyond the expected, to make a difference, to ultimately lose his own life trying to help someone else. On The Virtual Wall website, as well as other "wall" sites, there are some lovely tributes from friends of his if you'd like to read more about him.

Many years Veteran's Day slips by--just another "almost holiday" between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Let's change that this year--at least in whatever small ways we can. Join me today in thanking the veterans who are with us and remembering those who are never had the opportunity to be called a veteran.



No comments:

Post a Comment