Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Granola Bars from scratch

I'm so tired of buying overpriced "granola" bars...ugh...so I decided to try to make my own. I've tried before, with various degrees of success.  I think this is one of the best recipes I've made with some small changes..
Granola Bars III Recipe from allrecipes.comGranola Bars III Recipes from allrecipes.com
Recipe by IHARVEY
Original recipe makes 1 - 9x13 inch pan
 2 cups quick cooking oats
 1 cup all-purpose flour
 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
 3/4 cup raisins (I dislike raisins very much, so I used chocolate chips)
 1/2 cup wheat germ (Um, we didn't have any, so I used flax seed, which we seem to have a bunch of)
 1/2 teaspoon salt (forgot to put it in)
 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1/2 cup chopped English walnuts (We did have chopped walnuts...I don't think they were "English" per se)
 1/2 cup vegetable oil
 1/2 cup honey
 1 egg
 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spray with vegetable oil spray.
In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, raisins, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and walnuts. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend oil, honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into the flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars.

They have passed the kid and husband test and are firm enough to be individually wrapped in Saran Wrap...yummy!  And since most of them are gone, less than 24 hours after I made them, I guess I'll be making another batch for school snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment