Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2014

Something to write about...

As I sat here watching Tony da Fish freak out, I thought..."hmm, I don't have any more blogs scheduled". So you get a brain dump...yay!

This week has again been full of interesting adventures due to the cold.  I had two mornings when it took me an hour or more to get to work (usually a 32 minute trip).  Yuck.  Luckily, I didn't have a class at 7 either day, so it's all good.  The hot water pipe under the kitchen sink froze again--and again we were able to thaw it out using the trusty hair dryer. Unfortunately, the water pipe that leads to the refrigerator water dispenser is also frozen and despite cutting two (small) holes in the wall, we haven't been able to thaw that one.  The Girl is freaking out because "What is there to drink?!".  Um, water.  From the sink?  Right.

The townhouse furnace passed the inspection by the official furnace guy...but somehow was turned off after that inspection was done. So, when the plumber arrived today to fix the drippy faucet he called Mr. Ranch to say it was 38 degrees.  Uh, oh. Thankfully the plumber is a competent adult and sorted it all out...the heat is on, the faucet is fixed...Mr. Ranch is going to confirm that tomorrow though.  And I had a lovely conversation with "the window guy" today (that is fixed, too).

I'm attending a literacy conference this week--today was a long day.  I got to the hotel about 6:30 am and secured on-site parking (yay!) which meant I could stay through the last session (ending at 5) and still pick up the kids by 6 pm.  I'm hoping to secure on site parking again tomorrow so I can do the same drill again.  Great conference though--today I saw Patricia Polacco signing autographs...but since I'm trying to attend 15 hours of actual class I wasn't able to stand in line.  I was also able to secure a ticket to the luncheon on Saturday where she is speaking.  Tomorrow I get to hear Henry Winkler speak during lunch about his career as an author--not as The Fonz or Barry Zuckercorn, but I'm hoping he works those into his talk. I also ran into a couple folks that I don't see often (a group of teachers from the kids school, an English teacher from my school) and met some very nice people.  I have to write a 2-3 page paper to earn my 1.0 college credit, so maybe I'll just post that here and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I think I am going to go find somewhere warm (my bed?) and read--I do "owe" you a "What I read in January" post I suppose, so stay tuned for that "soon".

No comments:

Post a Comment