Search This Blog

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Books I read in April

Hard to believe that it is officially "late" May!  As I sat in Math Intervention class today, reading email while the kids worked, and dreaming of two weeks from tomorrow, when I can turn in my grades and go sit in the sunshine....my email "dinged"...it was an email from The Boy and The Girl's school, stating that the "Fall 2014 school supply list" was attached to the email.  Eesh! Here is my much delayed April reading report....

1.  Guardian of the Horizon (Elizabeth Peters)--Another Amelia Peabody novel--this one brings us up to 1908 and places Amelia (and her family) smack in the middle of an adventure that takes them back to the Last Oasis, first introduced to us in The Last Camel Died at Noon.

2.  Thrift Store Saints by Jane Knuth.  My mom recommended I read this book--I really enjoyed it.  Jane Knuth describes how she "accidentally" started working at a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store many years ago and what she has learned.  My mother-in-law is a member of the St. Vincent de Paul society and my mom works at a thrift store.  I had to order it from inter-library loan (or buy it for $10 on Kindle...I opted for free, but may still buy it--it was that good).  The book made me think about how sometimes "we" start a mission opportunity thinking about "all the good" we will do, when in reality, we are gaining more than our intended beneficiaries.  Anyway, good book, quick read...and there is a sequel!

3. A River in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters...see above...covers the next archaeological season.

4.  Roof Toppers by Katherine Rundell--This was recommended at one of the sessions I went to at the Literacy Conference early this spring.  It is about a shipwreck that leads to an apparently orphaned baby being adopted by a bachelor.  It is set around 1900 (I think, if I remember correctly).  The little girl and the adopted Dad live quite happily until she is about 12, at which point "social services" decides she should go to an orphanage because a single man can't raise a young lady.  So they go on the run to Paris (did I mention it started in London?) where they meed a secret society of homeless children who live on the roof tops.  It was a good quick read, but clearly aimed at sixth graders, there were some weird historical things, but it was ok.

5.  Silence by Natasha Preston--One of my students told me I "had" to read this because it was so good.  It was free on Amazon, so I did.  It was fine....The story follows a sixteen year old girl who doesn't speak, due to some untold trauma.  The reader doesn't find out the trauma until near the end, when the main character decides to speak.  It also was a quick read, but probably appropriate that it was free on Amazon.

6. The Day Before 9/11 by Tucker Elliot.  This was also free on Amazon.  I think I misread the description though, because I thought was going to be inspiring, and maybe to some people it would be, but I finished it kind of bummed at how the (true) story was presented and where the author ended the book.  And told us to buy his next book.  Blah.  Probably wouldn't recommend this one, unless it is still free on Amazon...

7.The Falcon at the Portal (Elizabeth Peters)--One of my favorite Amelia books, a good "recovery book" after the blah book listed at #6.

8.  Superior Justice by Tom Hilpert--A classic case of picking up something, thinking it was going to be "ok", and loving it.  This (also) was free on Amazon a few weeks ago and I thought it was set in the UP of Michigan.  Turns out it is set in Minnesota, but was delightful.  There is a (small) series of three books, all focused on a small town minister who just happens to solve mysteries.  I've actually read the first and the third...the last time I looked Amazon wanted $9 for the 2nd, so I passed, but when they show up at the library, I'm in!

9.  Superior Secrets by Tom Hilpert--see above--book 3 of the series

10. He Shall Thunder in the Sky (Elizabeth Peters)--Another favorite Amelia book--good quick read during The Girl's volleyball season while The Boy and I hung out in the car and waited for games to start!

11.A Circle of Wives by Alice LaPlante My office mate was listening to this on CD in our office one day and I was hooked.  The story follows three women who discover, when their husband dies, that he was married to all three of them.  Good mystery.

12. Three or Four "39 Clues" books  yeah...we are still listening in the car, although we have listened to the last available audio book (at our library).  The book that came out last month (Countdown?) is on order at the library and then there won't be another 39 Clues until August.  Don't worry though, we've found some other entertainment to hold us over!

So there it is, April's book list--hope you find something you enjoy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment