Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Home decorating gone astray

I have never claimed to be a good decorator...my decorating tends to run more towards function than "pretty".  At the moment our couch is mostly made of duct tape with a throw cover. Most of our walls are still white, even though we've lived in this house since 2007.  Despite my general lack of decorating enthusiasm, I did get excited when we moved into this house--you know, more room than we'll ever need, room to DECORATE! And organize!  Right? So even before we moved in I started collecting "decorating" ideas...some of which make Mr. Ranch roll his eyes...today's post falls in that category.

Elizabethtown is one of my favorite movies of all time a number of strange reasons.  One of them is that I love, really, really love, that the main character's aunt has covered every inch of her bedroom walls with family pictures. 
Yes, that's Paula Deen.  And Orlando Bloom.  And a snapshot of the movie on my tv.  Don't judge.
I covered  one wall in my bedroom with family pictures--
 and then realized that the rest of the room is always such a disaster area that no one outside my immediate family is ever going to get to see them.  Looking at this picture I can also see that one seems to be missing and several are really lopsided.  Oh, well...I tried.

Also in the bedroom I created a little area of what appears to be random stuff and a big layer of dust...
 On the left wall is a basket with silk flower bouquets from 4 weddings (including mine).  The paintings on the wall were done by my Grandma, most of the crosses were gifts from Sunday School students.  There appear to be two trophies--one for "Most improved swimmer 1986" and the other other for 2nd place (3rd?) in a state History Club display competition.  A bird cage music box from my great-grandma is next to an empty vase (shaped like a little girl) that held flowers for me when my brother was born.  A couple jewelry boxes--one from my husband, one from my grandfather round out the left side. There is the unity candle from our wedding, a photo of my grandfather from the late 1920's or early 1930's, a Camp Tecumseh wooden block, a cat soap dish (that I am sure I gave to Goodwill years ago and my mom found at her house not too long ago) An Annalee duck doll, my pledge paddle from college, a couple of decorative dolls (one from my hometown and one was a bridal shower gift--a bride), a framed sketch of my childhood church, a Pooh Bear Snow Globe...and finally, a Hunger Games Movie poster that I apparently threw there at some point...and left. And again, a lot of dust.  Clearly no one has moved or admired my treasures recently.

Another corner of the bedroom that I had high hopes for is this one--see the cute bookshelves filled with my all time favorite books?  And the comfy chair?  The throw pillows?  And the basket of mismatched socks?  Yeah...this corner is more the property of the dog than of me...but at least she has a cute place to sleep, right?  Somehow my free time to sit here and read has never materialized..but maybe next summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment