Search This Blog

Saturday, March 11, 2017

What I read in February 2017

I spent a couple weekends at the apartment with no internet (but books downloaded on my phone) and one (or two?) weekends home alone, so I read a lot in February.  It also helped that my US History classes spent the whole month working on research projects, so their daily progress was recorded in class every day (so only half the grading as a usual month!).  Now the papers are done, so we'll see how that goes!

1.  Three Sisters, Three Queens (Philippa Gregory)-Not as engaging as some Philippa Gregory books, but very interesting historically.  Historical fiction about Henry VIII's two sisters and his wife (who his sisters considered a sister at times).  Lots of conjecture about what really happened, good story.
2.  The Life We Bury (Allen Eskens)--in running for top ten along with the other two by him.  I thought this book was awesome...then I read the 2nd...then I read the 3rd...the characters from book one appear in the other books, but not in a "sequel style", more in a "pay attention and you'll figure out things" style.  First book is about a college project to interview someone. The student interviews a man released from life in prison because he is dying of cancer.  I won't tell more, so you can read for yourself.
3.  The Borden Murders:  Lizzie Borden and the Trial of the Century (Sarah Miller)--nonfiction but reads like a novel--exactly what it says--describes the Borden murders and the trial. Written for young adults, so while it "tells all" it isn't too much.  Includes some historical photos and drawings as well as the author's conclusion of "who done it".
4.  The Guise of Another (Allen Eskens)-Picks up after The Life We Bury and the connection isn't immediately clear.  In fact, I didn't realize it was a "sequel" until the middle of the book.  The main character this time is a police officer.
5.  The Heavens May Fall (Allen Eskens)--Unfortunately, this is the last book Eskens has completed...I'm hoping there will be more.  I liked this one the best.  Again, it is a mystery that the main character has to solve...good read.
6.  The Premonition (Chris Bohjalian)-Actually a novella prequel to The Sleepwalker, which I have on hold.  It was interesting, but felt like it didn't go anywhere (maybe it will feel more complete after I read the Sleepwalker)
7.  Cause to Kill: An Avery Black Mystery (Blake Pierce)--Free on my Kindle, can't remember when I "bought" it.  A mystery about a female police officer who used to be a District Attorney.  The character was very complicated and more complications appeared as the book went on. It wasn't bad, it was an entertaining read, but I'm not in a hurry to buy or find the sequels. (But if you get it for free and need a mystery, it probably will work)
8.  The Lady of the Lake:  Frannie Shoemaker #5 (Karen Musser Mortman)--ditto to #7 except this time the mystery solvers are a group of retired friends who like to go camping.  Apparently, this was book 5, didn't feel like I was missing much, so maybe they stand alone.  Again, cool if you get for free, but I wouldn't pay for it or look too hard.
9.  We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement That Defied Adolf Hitler (Russell Freedman)--Short, non-fiction.  Good background on the White Rose that I didn't know or had forgotten. Lots of pictures and other graphics
10.  Ashfall (Mike Mullin)-Another new found author/series--along with #11, 12 and 13 this tells the story of a teen boy in the midst of the fallout from an apocalyptic natural disaster.  I think I liked the first book best, but I couldn't put any of them down.  I'm excited to see what the author writes next!
11. Ashen Winter (Mike Mullin)
12.  Sunrise (Mike Mullin)
13. Darla's Story (Mike Mullin)
14.  I am Not Your Negro (James Baldwin and Raul Peck)--short book based on the current movie.  It was interesting, but out of context since I haven't seen the movie.  Adding "see movie" to my list ...
15.  Comfort Me (Debbie Viguie)--the long-awaited next book in the Psalm 23 mysteries.  It was good, not top 10 worthy, but a nice weekend read.
16. Book of Three Book 2...something about a cauldron? (Lloyd Alexander)--listend to in the car with The Boy.  It was fine.  I still think Lloyd Alexander ripped off Tolkien, but I"m sure people will disagree...

No comments:

Post a Comment