Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's at the Ranch

I don't think that New Year's has ever been a major holiday for me.  When I was a kid my folks always hosted a party for several other families...I remember lots of Chex mix and giggling (we were girls), running from the boys (our brothers and their friends), and watching "The Sound of Music".  One year in middle school or high school I had strep throat and mom asked the doctor if we should cancel the party.  His reaction was "as long as she doesn't kiss anyone".  I thought, "I don't think this will be a problem".  The Chex mix was a bit hard to swallow that year though.

When I was a junior in high school I wanted to go to a friend's house for New Years...my dad went out and bought our first color tv and a VCR (and a couple movies) so all my friends could come to our house instead.  In college I spent New Years at my friend P's a couple times--we played Euchure, watched movies, exciting stuff.

Once we lived in Denver we hosted a couple New Year's parties and went to a few at good friends house--usually lots of snacks and a few movies.  The year The Girl was a baby (and maybe a couple other years around that time) we spent New Year's at some friends "up north"--I think The Girl and I went to bed in the guest room about 10pm while the rest of the house was a madhouse.

When the kids were little we started celebrating "New Year's France time"....once it was dark we passed out the hats and noise makers, let them do their thing...including a glass of sprite or sparking apple juice and then put them to bed by 7.  We were very proud of our sneakiness...then they learned to tell time...D'oh...


So this picture is from 2010..might be the first year we let them "stay up"...looks like we are deep in our new tradition--a movie marathon!  This might be the year we let them watch all the Star Wars movies (skipping #3, perhaps...).



And this one, from last year looks like Star Wars again...or something.  Hmm.









So you might ask, what are our plans for this year?  Mr Ranch and The Girl are skiing today--The Boy is staying home, watching a Muppet show marathon. When they get home, I think we will have some "Unrolled Egg rolls" (isn't there a New Year's Tradition about eating cabbage being good luck?)  The family (surprisingly?) likes this recipe.  Then a movie marathon...not Star Wars...Lord of the Rings has been suggested, as has Despicable Me....and then bed at 12:01.  Happy New Year everyone!

Unrolled Egg Rolls recipe
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.

Yield: Serves 6 to 8

No comments:

Post a Comment