Search This Blog

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Green Tomato Salsa

Under the threat of a not-so-early frost, I picked all the green tomatoes I could. Since the family won't eat fried green tomatoes, I opted for my old stand-by, Green tomato salsa.

 Here are most of the green tomatoes...I did save about three big ones to make some fried green tomatoes for myself tomorrow  Those little ones mystify me..I don't think I planted them...maybe they are from the compost dirt?

The Girl, who is reading over my shoulder, just pointed out that my blogs aren't very funny any more.  Hmm.  Well, here's a funny story about when I made pickles last year...I chopped up jalapenos and made my hands burn.  Ok, not funny, but I did learn that if you wash your hands in olive oil and Dawn dishsoap it is still possible to take out contacts without dying.

Recipe:
Green Salsa Dressing  from http://www.bostonplus.com/tomato.html#salsadress
A variety of Mexican salsa, this dressing can be used as a topping for beans and rice, or mixed with beans to make a salad. Makes 1 2\3 cups. (The way I made it, I had about 8 cups of finished salsa)


  • 1 cup green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
  • 1 fresh jalapeno pepper or chili pepper (I used jalapeno)
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 2 scallions, green and white parts, cut into l-inch lengths
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice


Combine green tomatoes, pepper, garlic, scallions and water in a 4-cup glass measure or small microwave safe mixing bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave at High for two minutes. Let stand one minute. Pick plastic to release steam.
Remove from microwave and uncover carefully. Scape into a blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.

So, as you can see from the number of tomatoes in picture one, I had to quadruple the recipe.  I used about 5 jalapenos though and about 8-10 scallions from the garden--the rest was pretty straight forward.  I microwaved it in a big glass bowl, then dumped it into this bigger bowl to mix in the cilantro, etc.  I microwaved it for about four minutes-- I think if I was going to use it for a dip or sauce on something without cooking it more, I'd cook it more on this end.  I also always contemplate cooking it in a pan...but this is so fast I usually give in and use the microwave.

I've never followed their recommendation to put it on beans--I 've made it into a dip (I think once by adding sour cream?) and have used it on baked potatoes and on baked/grilled chicken--very tasty!  I store it in the freezer in about 2 cup portions in tupperware and then thaw in the fridge or a sink of hot water.



No comments:

Post a Comment