Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Additions to Mackinac Island Blog!

After my Mackinac blogs my mom sent me some additional info--maybe I should have her read my blogs before they go live (but, gee, then I'd have to get them done in time for her to consult...hmm..probably not going to happen)

So the mystery of this picture has been solved--we are in Grandpa's carriage--apparently walked up to the Grand Hotel to see my Grandparents and it was pouring down rain, so he gave us a lift to the dock on the way to pick up someone and take them to the Grand.  The Grand's doorman even open the door for us.  She pointed out you can see Grandpa in his yellow rain slicker outside the front window!

And here's mom's quote on the rain suit... (Mom, I hope it's ok to quote you!)  "A side light on the yellow rain suit-----he always carried one with him whenever he was driving---between rain showers he often took off the jacket but left on the pants so he was ready for the next rain shower quickly......thus sometimes the pants wore out quicker than the jackets and we were sometimes had the jackets from worn out pants....and love them for camping.  He also said the pants added extra warmth early and late in the season.............he used to begin and end the season wearing long/insulated underwear (bottoms & tops) under his uniforms/clothes especially when driving the tours because it was cold sitting up-front in the wind."

Mom also reminded me that Mrs. Hart from Hart's Haven was a teacher at the Mackinac Island school and that my folks enjoyed hearing about year-round life on the Island from them.

Mom also said maybe she would find some more classic Island pictures--maybe I'll make her my guest blogger for a family history post!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment