Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2014

Things to do in Denver Part I

Some friends from out of state are coming for a visit later this fall and asked for some ideas of things to do with their young kids--I am going to chat with them, too, but thought it might make a "fun" post I've talked about some of these places before, but here is the "whole list" in one place... "things to do in the Denver area" with (or without) little children....  A lot are mentioned in The Preschooler's Guide to Denver, a book that we have used a lot more since the kids started school than before.  Whenever I can I've included a link to the location's official website.

Children's Museum-I hate to start with this one, because it is one of my least favorites (sorry museum fans).  I was "spoiled" by growing up near the fantastic Indianapolis Children's Museum, so the Denver Children's Museum has always seemed small and over-priced.  We have spent some fun afternoons there--mainly rainy or cold days when we've been cooped up too long.  It does have a some great play areas for younger kids-it is aimed at the 3-5 year old crowd is my opinion and anyone older or younger isn't thrilled..but it is ok if the weather has been stinky for a long time.  And it is a good "go-to" for little kids and grandparents--lots of things to play with.

Aquarium-I haven't been to the aquarium since around the time it opened and we had free passes.  It is supposed to be great...it is funny to think of going to an aquarium in Denver though.  And again (I'm cheap) but it has always seemed pricey.

Museum of Nature and Science I do love this place--lots of stuff for kids to do and entertaining for the adults too.  Has an IMAX theater.  It is pretty similar to Nature and Science Museums in other cities...I can't think of anything that makes it drastically better or worse than any other Nature and Science Museum.  Entrance prices also seem about the same as other cities.

Zoo When we lived in Denver proper we had a zoo membership and would "pop over" for a couple hours on a Sunday afternoon. it is a nice zoo, lots of buildings with indoor exhibits so you can escape from the rain/snow/heat. We used to be famous for our polar bear cubs, but it seems like we haven't had any in awhile--but there are snow leopard cubs!  Here, too, there is an entrance fee, but it is never surprisingly high and (at least used to be) lower in the winter months.

Denver Botanic Gardens-Right now the Gardens are hosting a Chihuly exhibit and they have added a "kids discovery area".  It has always been a nice place to go play.  I think there are discounted tickets available through King Soopers sometimes.  It has a few indoors areas as well to escape the sun/rain/snow.

Lowry Beer Garden-Why might you ask, is a Beer Garden on a "kids's list"?  Great question...Here's my answer.  This place is situated right next door to the Wings Over the Rockies Museum and has a fantastic outdoor patio as well as a great indoor area.  Tasty food...and...a box of toys/games for the kids.  Granted, my kids are older, but they spent several happy afternoons playing Apples to Apples with my co-workers while I snacked on "half price food for teachers" during happy hour . I once fed the kids and I dinner for $12.  $12.  Not kidding.

Wings Over the Rockies-A very miniature version of the Air and Space Museum, has a fee, but often there are discount tickets online or in the kiosk at hotels.

Wildlife Experience-One of my favorite museums ever.  There is an area where you "walk through several climate zones" and along the way get snowed on as well as see lots of taxidermied animals.  That section alone is worth the price to me.  It also has an IMAX and a fun kids discovery area.

Butterfly Pavilion-Haven't been there in years, it was lovely, especially since when I went I had free tickets.

Westlands Park--Great park, no where to go inside, of course, but fantastic if the weather is decent (which, let's face it, it is a great deal of the time in Denver).  Has an observation tower, nature walks, and several fantastic playgrounds/play areas designed for kids of different ages and abilities.

Littleton Historical Museum--They advertise that they are "always free", but I would pay to visit.  A small, traditional, museum and several restored historic buildings.  Chickens, ducks, cows, sheep...lots of space to run and things to explore.  Special events throughout the year-we were there last spring on "Cow" day--we sampled homemade cheese, butter, and ice cream and heard about ice houses.

Hudson Gardens-Another smaller botanic garden.  During the summer they charge a fee, but in the winter I don't believe that they do. Lots of fun places to explore here, too--a hobbit hole is one of my favorites.  On special weekends there is a large outdoor model train area.

Belleview Park-We've only been to this one a few times--they have a great train to ride on (for a fee, I think) and lots of other "park" things.

Tiny Town-One of my favorites when the kids were toddling--this is a whole village (outdoors) of tiny houses and other buildings. There is a train to ride here, too.  I remember thinking the price was reasonable...I'm sure all that info is on their website.  They may close for the winter as well....but winter is kind of fluid here in the land of 340 sunshiney
 days.

Red Rocks-Free, including a small "museum".  Worth it to let kids run up and down all those stairs and perform on the same stage that the Beatles did.  Lots of hiking trails, too.

Colorado Railroad Museum-I know I've been here, but not for a long time.  I have a coffee mug from there!  The Boy reports "it was fun and Grandude bought my ticket".  So there you go.  As I remember, it has a lot of real trains that kids can tour and sometimes there are train rides

Airplane restaurant--This place, and the  next four, are all technically in the Colorado Springs area...which isn't super far from our house, but would be a hike if one was coming from downtown Denver (of course, some of the list above are a hike for us!).  I have mixed feelings about this place and always tell the folks we take that I have mixed feelings.  No one has ever been disappointed though (or at least they didn't tell me so).  The food is so-so most visits (it is attached to a Ramada Inn, I think), but if you call ahead or get lucky you can actually eat in a real airplane.  Even if you have to sit in the restaurant, there is a ton of airplane memorabilia to look at and kids are encouraged to visit the cockpit and rear bay of the airplane to explore.  Lots of great photo ops!

Air Force Academy-A very nice (free) visitor's center.  You will have to show your driver's license or other ID at the gate, but don't have to have a reservation to go in.  Most days you can take a short walk to the Air Force Chapel (down a paved trail with lots of things to look at).  A fun (usually short) stop on the way to or from somewhere else.

Olympic Training Center-Another free visitor's center.  The last time we were there they were remodeling (again).  Usually there are lots of hands on things to do and tours of the grounds are given.

Garden of the Gods-Very pretty to walk or drive.  Free entry, parking can be a pain if it is a nice day.  There is a nice visitor's center, too, mostly a gift shop, but a few things to look at/touch for the kids.

Santa Train-We haven't done the Santa train, but did take the cog railway in the summer.  The Santa train sounds very fun and we've been told that tickets "sell out fast".  Make sure to stop in Manitou Springs on your way to or from the train and try some of the water from the town's springs (the springs are free, just bring your own cup). With older kids they can pick up a map and lead you on a scavenger hunt as well as a taste test.

Bonus Link to "Best Hikes for Kids and Families" We've done a lot of these--downtown Golden is fun as well as the one to "the castle"

I'm also a fan of our public libraries--no matter what part of the "Denver Area" you are in ,there is probably a great library with a children's area, many including a"play room".  Phillip Miller (in Castle Rock), Castlewood (Centennial), and Schlessman (Denver) are some of my favorites.

Hey, Coloradans...what else should I add?


No comments:

Post a Comment