Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Life as a Carny

Me, possibly the summer
I was a Carny...

This week was homecoming at the high school, and as usual there was a theme with "dress up" days.  This year's theme was "Under the Big Top" and the daily dress ups were "Stripes and Suspenders", "Tasty Tuesday" (wear bright and festive candy colors),"Mirror, Mirror (Twins)", "Carny Day" (dress like someone who you would see at a carnival), Blue and Green Spirit Day (our colors are blue and green).  As always, some of the kids' (and staff's) outfits were interesting.  My favorite day this time was Carny Day.  I wore my own clothes and was able to say (with an almost straight face)..."Well, when I was a Carny,  I just wore my own clothes".  Priceless reactions...

See, the story as I remember it, is that for some reason when I was in high school the "carnival" came to town (for the 4-H Fair, of course) and was short-handed.  No, I have no idea how that happens.  I suppose the other possibility is that the town and the carnival had some kind of agreement about hiring a certain number of local people?  Or some local club or organization volunteered? Who knows... the end result is that for a couple nights I sold tickets to the rides inside a cute little booth.  He, he...allowing me to use "I was a Carny" as a truth when we play "Two truths and a lie" at the beginning of the school year.

"Would you like to buy some carnival tickets?"


No comments:

Post a Comment